- Adventure: BNP Paribas Open (tennis tournament)
- Location: Indian Wells, CA
- Organization: Guide Dogs of the Desert
- Why I donated: When I lived in NYC, I was a running guide for the Achilles Track Club. Although it’s been nearly 20 years, I still remember my regular runners — Gladstone and Leol — both blind and relied exclusively on a guide dog when someone wasn’t running with them. It was a rewarding experience and I’ll always treasure my time with them. Additionally, I recently read an article in Runner’s World about Klinger, the first-ever certified running guide dog and it reminded of my time in NYC and the importance of programs like this and Guide Dogs of the Desert.
- Amount Donated: $15
- Small Change Traveler: Thumbholes
Guide Dogs of the Desert
Guide Dogs of the Desert provides custom trained guide dogs for the blind, and for those with special needs, for safe mobility, companionship, and independence. Guide Dogs of the Desert was founded over 40 years ago on the premise that every legally blind person should have the opportunity to have a guide dog, including those with multiple disabilities, balance issues, prothesis, some deafness and PTSD. Because of this commitment to our special clients, our class sizes are small and focus on the individual needs of our clients.